About the Club
The Cumberland News Rifle Club was formed in June 1950 by employees of Cumberland Newspapers as part of their Social Club.
We are now a fully independent club of around 90 members.
Our first Range was at Carlisle Castle, then we moved to the Old Brewery, Iredales Yard. In 1975 we had to vacate those premises. Shooting then took place at the Army Cadet Range, Durranhill, for two years.
During this time we found premises and built a Range in the old Auction Mart, Botchergate, in Carlisle.
Our lease there expired in 1982 and .22 Rifle shooting took place at C.A.D. Longtown, with Air Guns at Warwick Bridge. This continued until our current Range was built here at the Sheepmount, Bitts Park.
This Range was opened in October 1984 and we are continually working to improve and extend the facilities, which are already amongst the best in the area.
This purpose built Range has 8 firing points for .22 Rifle at 20 yards, 8 firing points for 20 yard Pistol/Sport Rifle and 15 firing points for 10 metre Air Pistol and Air Rifle, combined with a large Club Room, with kitchen and toilet facilities.
The Range is fully accessible to disabled shooters.
Shooting is mainly done on a postal basis. We are affiliated to the National Small-bore Rifle Association, the National Rifle Association, the Cumbria & Northumbria Target Shooting Association, and the Ulster Counties S.B.R.A.. Shoulder to shoulder shoots are held occasionally, and members travel to "Open Shoots" both locally and nationally.
Any prospective member is encouraged to participate in the postal competitions, which are held all year round.